After making my oatmeal stuffed baked apples again recently I decided I needed to make those flavours into a baked oatmeal too! The result was this apple walnut baked oatmeal and it is a super tasty, warming breakfast option. Perfect for winter!
- 2 cups oats
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3/4tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3tbs butter
- 1 3/4 cup of oat milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp vanilla
- 2 medium apples
- Preheat oven to 190C and line a square baking dish
- Combine the oats, spices, baking powder, salt, walnuts and raisins and stir to combine
- In a separate bowl melt half the butter then add the milk, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Dice the apples and place most of them on the base of your baking dish then cover with the oat mixture
- Pour over the wet ingredients and ensure they have covered all the dry ingredients
- Scatter over the remaining apples and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden
- Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle over the top
That’s all there is to this apple walnut baked oatmeal! Like all my baked oatmeal recipes (blueberry or banana-raspberry may take your fancy) this one can be made ahead and reheated as needed. I like to make it on a Sunday and then reheat a piece each morning for breakfast. So good!
Baked oatmeal has definitely been my favourite new breakfast food this year – I don’t know why I hadn’t been eating it regularly before now! I love that I can mix up the flavours to suit the season, and this apple walnut baked oatmeal is definitely hitting the winter-spot. If you are also not yet on the baked oatmeal train I definitely recommend you whip this up and try it for yourself!