Anyone that knows me knows I am a massive AFL fan, to a rather ridiculous point. I will happily watch pretty much any match, even if my beloved Sydney Swans aren’t playing – case in point, I went along to the MCG last Friday night despite the Swans having a week off! Now that the finals series is well and truly upon us I thought I would share a recipe for something perfect to snack on while watching the footy – Baked Eggplant Fries (scarf and theme song singing totally optional).
If you’re not a sports fan then these would work equally as well as light dinner served with a side salad. I went with a mixture of mayo and sweet chilli sauce as my dipping sauce, but a tomato based sauce would also be excellent, and also turn these into almost like an eggplant parmigiana!
- Medium eggplant
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or parmesan)
- 2tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Slice the eggplant into batons, roughly the same size and shape
- In a bowl combine the panko, nutritional yeast, paprika and salt & pepper, stir to combine
- Put the flour in a separate bowl
- In a third bowl, crack the eggs and lightly whisk them. Line all three bowls up
- Line a tray with baking paper and then put a rack on top
- Dip the eggplant batons into the flour, then the egg and then the panko mixture then place them on the wire rack and repeat with the remaining eggplant batons
- Bake for 10 minutes then turn the batons and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until golden brown
These are soft on the inside and deliciously crunchy on the outside, and I’d probably recommend making a double batch because otherwise they might not last long! The nutritional yeast gives them a great savoury bite which I found went nicely with the mayo in particular (but then I’m a chips and mayo fan from my days living in Amsterdam!)
Pity I have to wait until Friday to see more football (go Swans!)
Are you a footy fan too? Fancy some baked eggplant fries for the next game?
Have you signed up for my newsletter yet? Every Sunday I send out some behind the scenes news and links to recent posts. Best part is you get a copy of my Healthy Drinks Guide FREE just for signing up! It’s as easy as popping your email in the form below and it’ll be in your inbox in no time!