At every event I am part of providing food at you can basically guarantee there will be lots of salads! This includes Christmas, so I thought I would share some of the salads I took along to this year’s celebrations. Starting with this cauliflower chickpea and mint harissa salad!
Given I whipped up this cauliflower chickpea and mint harissa salad as part of a big day of cooking it didn’t get the usual photographic treatment, but it was too tasty for me not to share, so hopefully you’ll excuse the slightly below-par photos!
I tweaked a recipe I found in Good Food
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1tbs cumin seeds
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 3tbs mint harissa
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2tbs honey
- Preheat oven to 170C fan-forced
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in a single layer on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle over the cumin seeds
- Roast for 40 minutes, or until starting to brown and slightly soft. Set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a serving bowl
- Roughly chop the mint and coriander and add to the serving bowl, as well as the sultanas.
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl and toss well to combine
- Blend together the mint harissa, lemon juice, olive oil and honey until emulsified and creamy. Drizzle generously over the salad then season as needed.
That’s all there is to this cauliflower chickpea and mint harissa salad! It’s surprisingly simple but absolutely was not lacking on the flavour front. One of the best parts was we could prepare all the elements the day before and just compile it, and remix the dressing, when we were ready to go to our Christmas event. Absolutely perfect for busy cooking days!
I was able to pick up mint harissa from my local Turkish grocer, and whilst it wasn’t something I had cooked with before I can guarantee I will be again! It had a nice amount of spice to it, combined with some serious minty goodness. It made for am excellent dressing ingredient, that’s for sure!