Sandwiches aren’t something I take to work very often, but I had a weird craving for one recently. I knew I needed something super delicious and interesting for the filling, and this chickpea celery salad was the answer. The only problem was it was so delicious I ate heaps of it before it even made it into my lunchbox! Thankfully it’s also super easy to make more!
I amended a recipe I found at Oh She Glows
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 spring onions
- Half red capsicum
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3tbs mayonnaise
- 2tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and mash until mostly crushed
- Thinly slice the celery and spring onions and toss through the chickpeas
- Dice the capsicum and add to the chickpea mix
- Mince the garlic and place in a small bowl
- Add the mayonnaise and mustard and mix well to combine
- Finely chop the coriander and stir through the mayonnaise mix then add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper
- Spoon through the chickpea mixture, tossing to evenly coat everything
This chickpea celery salad is seriously that simple! It’s perfect for a super quick meal that doesn’t even involve turning on the stove or the oven. Plus it’s not only delicious, it’s also really filling and full of excellent crunch. No wonder I ate so much of it straight from the bowl…
I did manage to save enough to make my sandwiches, and it worked perfectly with some crisp lettuce leaves in both a normal sandwich as well as wraps. You can really eat this any way that makes you happy, and believe me it will make you happy!
If you want to make a vegan version of this then simply choose a vegan mayo option and you’re good to go! This chickpea celery salad travels well too so it’s excellent for picnics and potlucks, and it also keeps well for a day or two – perfect!