Even though we are more than a month into Autumn, Melbourne appears to think we’re still in summer and this weekend presented us with glorious sunshine, and high-20s temperatures. This means I’m still making summery food, and this chickpea salad fits the bill perfectly!
The recipe is a Jamie Oliver one, which a tweaked a tiny bit due to the fact someone picked and ate the chilli growing in our frontyard! I also added extra chickpeas to it so it will go further for me for lunch this week.
- Red onion
- Chilli flakes
- Fresh tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- Fresh mint
- Fresh green basil
- Feta cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Finely slice the red onion and place in a bowl
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add the tomatoes and chilli flakes to the red onion
- Add the juice of half the lemon and around 3 tbs of olive oil to the onion and tomato and season with salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then heat them on the stove
- Add most of the chickpeas to the bowl
- Mash the remaining chickpeas with a fork and add to the bowl
- Leave to marinate for about an hour
- Before serving chop the mint and basil and add to the mixture
- Crumble feta on top
- Add additional lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste
What have you been cooking lately?
This post is linked with the Veggie Mama’s Meatless Monday Link-up – hop over for more great vegetarian meal ideas!