I’m not going to lie, this slice is not the prettiest thing I’ve ever shared here on the blog, but it sure is tasty! This gooey date fudge slice is deceptively healthy, it’s free from flour and added sugar and is both vegan and gluten free. It might be slightly messy to eat, but it’s worth it, I promise!
It also only takes a few minutes to whip up as well, although you do need to plan ahead as it needs a good amount of time in the refrigerator to set. I like to whip it up at night and have it ready to go the next morning so I can take a slice to work to help me through the mid-arvo slump!
The recipe is one I slightly adapted from this one on Taste. I use a larger pan than they suggest (I use a standard slice pan), making the pieces thinner because I find it can be a bit overly sweet if you have too large a slice. There’s turn out a bit prettier as a result, but I’m all about flavour round these parts!
- 80g pistachios
- 500g dates
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Juice and zest of an orange
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Extra cacao powder to dust
- Lightly toast the pistachios and set aside
- Combine dates, cacao powder, oil, orange juice and zest in a food processor and blitz until smooth and combined
- Roughly chop the pistachios and add to the date mix with the cranberries and cacao nibs and fold through to combine
- Line a tray with baking paper and sprinkle with cacao powder
- Spoon in the date mixture, press to the edges and smooth the top
- Refrigerate for 8-hours (or overnight) and then cut into pieces
If you’re using packaged dates rather than fresh ones then a good tip is to pop them in some hot water for 10 minutes to let them soften before draining the water off and putting them in the food processor. It helps your food processor not have to do as much work and they combine with the other ingredients much easier as well.
I do recommend that you don’t try and eat this on the run, it really is quite gooey so can get rather messy! It is delicious though, so don’t let that put you off! I love the crunch of the pistachios in here, they add a great little texture change which I always appreciate in pretty much all my food! Plus, it’s healthy and it doesn’t taste like it so that’s always a win as well!
What have you been cooking lately? Fancy giving this gooey date fudge slice a try?
[inlinkz_linkup id=582213 mode=1]