I have been staying at B’s a lot recently due to the filming at my place, and this week will be no exception as they come in for the last round of filming for the season, meaning we need to be out of the house for half the working week. I have to get up earlier at his to get to work, so decided to whip up some muesli muffins packed full of grains, fruit and nuts that I can eat on the go.
You can add any kind of dried fruit and nuts you like – I used apricot, almonds and walnuts. The muesli I used had sultanas and coconut in it otherwise I probably would have added those as well! These are also easily adapted to be vegan, I use almond milk instead of dairy milk anyway, and you could replace the egg with mashed banana (roughly 1/2 a banana) or some applesauce (1/4 cup) and it would work, and taste, just fine! I love the combination of the grated apple and the cinnamon in these, they taste almost like apple pie!
- 2 1/4 cups of muesli
- 1 1/2 cups of milk (I use almond milk)
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit and nuts
- 1 apple – grated
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 190 C
- Combine muesli and milk in a bowl and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes
- Roughly cut dried fruit and nuts into small pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined
- Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes
- Leave to cool and then enjoy!
What’s your favourite grab-and-go breakfast?
Despite it being Tuesday I’m linking this post up with Veggie Mama’s Meatless Mondays. I highly recommend popping on over for some great vegetarian meal ideas.