My little balcony garden herbs are flourishing at the moment so I thought it was time to whip up some more pesto, which I then used to make this super easy, super tasty pesto Israeli couscous salad!
Given its gorgeous green & red ingredients I think this would make a perfect side for a Christmas BBQ, and best of all you can make the pesto and cook the couscous in advance, so it is one less thing to worry about if you’re rushing around trying to cook a million things at once! Plus, it’s delicious, which at the end of the day is kinda the most important thing!
- 3tbs olive oil
- 2 cups Israeli couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup pesto (I used my mint & basil pesto recipe)
- 2 cups rocket
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Heat 2tbs of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the couscous. Toast for 4-5 minutes, stirring often until the couscous is lightly golden
- Add the boiling water, stir, boil for a minute then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick
- When the couscous is soft and chewy drain it then rinse under cold water and drain again. Pour into your bowl and drizzle over the remaining 1tbs of oil.
- Spoon in the pesto and toss to coat the couscous
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and add to the couscous with the rocket
- Roughly chop the walnuts then dry fry them until lightly toasted. Add to the salad and toss to combine all ingredients
If you’re not a fan of walnuts this would go equally well with pinenuts, but someone around these parts won’t eat pinenuts (B, not me!) so they don’t get much of a look in unfortunately! Lucky I’m a big fan of walnuts!
What have you been cooking lately? Hopefully this week’s Meatless Monday linkup will give you some new things to try! And if you’re not already on my newsletter list, now might be the perfect time to join up! You’ll get a free copy of my healthy drinks guide which is full of recipes to keep you cool in this crazy warm weather we’re having. Just pop your email address in the box below!
[inlinkz_linkup id=467693 mode=1]