After playing around with different sugar syrups when making homemade lemonade a little while back, I decided I would play with some more grown-up varieties to use in cocktails (or mocktails!) over the Christmas holiday period. The first one I played with was this spiced brown sugar syrup – the mix of spices just tastes like Christmas to me! It’s super easy to make and will keep in the fridge for a few weeks, so you can always have some ready to go just in case!
- 1 cup water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg if that’s all you have)
- 1 tsp allspice (whole or grated)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Combine the spices and zests in a saucepan with the water and bring to the boil
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely
- Strain and pour into a bottle. Store in the fridge until needed
We used it to make cocktails that combined a spoonful or two of the syrup, rum, fresh lime juice and ginger beer. It would also work really well in a warm drink, with a splash of brandy, or to spice up a hot chocolate (with or without alcohol!). The opportunities are limitless!
What’s your favourite cocktail flavour? Any suggestions for cocktail syrups I should try next?