As promised in the picnic post the other day, today I’m sharing the recipe for the Chocolate & Walnut Cookies I baked as our sweet treat for the picnic. I based the recipe off my Chunky Choc-Chip Cookie recipe, but lowered the sugar as I knew I would be loading them up with chocolate! They were the perfect way to end our picnic!
There’s something about the combination of nuts and chocolate that just works so well in cookie form. White chocolate & macadamia is an obvious one (like these cookies!) but pistachios, almonds, walnuts – they all work! It helps to make the cookies seem a little more healthy too, although with the amount of chocolate in these particular cookies that might be stretching it somewhat!
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1tbs milk (I used almond milk but any milk is fine)
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups walnuts
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cream the butter and sugar until well combined
- Add the egg & vanilla and beat well
- Mix through the milk
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until combined
- Roughly chop the walnuts and chocolate then fold through the mixture
- Roll into balls and position on lined baking trays a few centimetres apart, flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly golden
- Cool on a wire rack then enjoy!
Are you a fan of nuts in cookies? Any particular combinations really appeal?