Now that I’m somewhat settled in the new place I thought it was about time I tried out the oven. I’ve had lots of people stopping by to visit so having a homemade cake ready to share seemed like a logical idea, and came in very handy when my parents stopped by with my nan to show her around. I kept it nice and simple – a lemon and coconut yogurt cake, with an additional depth of flavour coming from the use of vanilla bean flavoured yoghurt – yum all round!
I based the recipe of this one from Taste, but significantly upped the yoghurt quantity, and made some other changes too (including the addition of the coconut!)
- 2 lemons
- 100g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups yoghurt (I used vanilla bean five am yoghurt)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Beat the butter and 100g of the sugar until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well between additions
- Add the zest of both lemons, the juice of one lemon and the yoghurt and beat well
- Fold in the flour and coconut until combined then spoon into a 20cm cake pan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through
- Meanwhile, combine the juice of one lemon and the remaining 50g sugar in a small saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow it to thicken
- Poke holes in the cake while it is still warm then pour the syrup over the top
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!
The cake was deliciously dense but still moist, with a good amount of lemon without it being overpowering. I’m sure it would go deliciously with a cup of tea, but we went for the more celebratory option of champagne instead!
My nan was particularly taken by the cake, claiming it was the best cake she’d eaten in a long time! I’m not sure if that’s more a reflection of the food at the aged care facility where she lives than necessarily my baking prowess but I’ll take the compliment!
Are you a fan of lemony desserts?