I’ve gone a bit Vietnamese food crazy lately, with pad thai, rice paper rolls and the like making regular appearances in my kitchen. This tofu vermicelli bowl has also been a part of the mix and I’ve been loving the mix of fresh, crispy vegetables, lightly fried tofu and lots of herbs and chilli.
The best part is they are easy to whip up, and you can prepare most of it in advance so it’s an excellent easy dinner, or healthy lunch. The longer you can marinade the tofu for the better, but it’s still full of flavour after an hour so don’t stress too much!
The marinade & sauce were adapted from here
- 3 stalks lemongrass (white parts only)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/4 cup oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2tbs water
- 1tbs sugar
- 1tbs hoisin sauce
- 1 red chilli
- 250g firm tofu
- 125g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- Bean sprouts
- Spring onions
- Crushed peanuts
- Red chilli
- Fresh coriander & mint
- Pulse the lemongrass in a food processor until finely chopped
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, sugar and five spice, and pulse until finely chopped and combined
- Cut the tofu into cubes and place in a tray. Cover with the marinade and pour over the oil, then leave to marinate
- Finely slice the chilli then combine with the remaining dressing ingredients then set aside
- Cook the noodles as per package instructions then drain and rinse under cold water
- Thinly slice the carrot using a vegetable peeler
- Halve the cucumber then thinly slice
- Thinly slice the chilli
- When ready to eat, place the tofu and marinade in a hot fry pan and fry until cooked on all sides, being careful not to burn the marinade.
- Place some of the noodles in each bowl then top with the carrot, cucumber, sprouts and tofu. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts, fresh herbs and chilli, then pour over the dressing
It might look like a long list of steps and ingredients but don’t let that put you off, it’s not only easier than it looks but definitely worth it! You can also change up the veggies if you don’t like/have any in particular on hand. Shredded cabbage or lettuce would work well, as would capsicum, so just mix it up to whatever suits your tastebuds!
I’ve been taking this tofu vermicelli bowl to work for lunches by keeping all the parts separate and combining it at work when I’m ready to eat it (with pre-cooked tofu) and each time I can’t wait until lunchtime rolls around!
So much colour, so much flavour – my kinda meal!
Have you tried a tofu vermicelli bowl before? And now, over to the linkup!
[inlinkz_linkup id=458282 mode=1]