If you’ve been around these parts for any length of time then you’d know colourful salads are up there on my favourite food list, and this is no exception! Not only is it colourful, it’s also full of delicious flavours (and a bit of a spice kick!) from the tofu marinade, all supported by tasty, hearty soba noodles. What more could you want from a salad!?
The other beauty of this salad is the flavours develop the longer you leave them, so whilst it’s delicious when freshly made it’s even better the next day (or two!) so it’s perfect to make ahead for lunches during the working week!
- Packet of soba noodles
- 375g firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2tbs honey
- 1tbs sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, minced
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes (less, or more! to taste)
- 2 carrots
- Head of broccoli
- 1 red capsicum
- Bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Cook the soba noodles as per package directions, rinse well under cold water once cooked and set aside
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli in a dish and then chop tofu into pieces and add to marinade. Leave for 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally
- Chop the carrot and broccoli and cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until brightly coloured but still firm. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process
- Chop the red pepper into batons
- Cook the tofu in a pan for a few minutes on each side until slightly browned
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and pour over the remaining marinade from the tofu dish. Top with bean sprouts and coriander
Look at all that colour! I thoroughly enjoyed working my through this at work over the course of a few days – a delicious lunch makes any working day go faster I think!
Are you a fan of leftovers? What’s your go-to work lunch?