Now that asparagus is back in season I wanted to use it in a salad for my work lunches this week. I have been on a bit of a goats cheese kick lately but decided to pair it with another of my favourite cheeses – haloumi – in a fresh and delicious quinoa salad. It turned out really well and I found myself looking forward to lunch at work even more than usual – and that’s saying something!
- 1 cup quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1tbs honey
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 180g haloumi
- 1 red capsicum
- Rinse the quinoa then place in a pot with 2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer with the lid ajar for 15 minutes
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and honey in a small container and whisk until smooth. Season, then set aside
- Remove any woody parts of the asparagus, cut into thirds and then cook in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, then refresh in icy water to stop it cooking
- Cut the haloumi into small pieces and brown on both sides in a small pan
- Chop the capsicum into small strips
- Place the quinoa in a serving bowl then add the asparagus, haloumi, capsicum and rocket. Toss to combine
- Pour over the dressing
What seasonal vegetables are you excited to be seeing at the moment?