Every time I see a recipe for a stuffed food – be it capsicum, zucchini or tomato I always think I should give it a try but for some reason it just never happened. So, when I got a couple of green capsicums in my organic veggie box I decided to stop thinking and start doing. And boy am I glad I did – these were tasty! I think they would be particularly great for a dinner party as they look pretty impressive, and you can do most of the work in advance and just pop them in the oven when you need them. Perfect!
You can really use whatever veggies you like to mix with the quinoa for the stuffing – and you could easily use brown rice instead of quinoa, but I think the quinoa works best because of the smaller sized grains. Up to you though!
- Capsicums (any colour!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup veggie stock (or water)
- Chili flakes
- Rinse quinoa then cook in the stock (bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes)
- Halve the capsicums and remove the seeds and core
- Dice the carrot, mushroom, onion and tomato, and crush the garlic
- Cook the onion in a frypan for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another minute
- Add the spices and mix through
- Add the carrot and cook for another 5 minutes (I added a splash of water at this point too)
- Add the tomato and mushroom and cook for another minute
- Mix the vegetables with the quinoa until combined
- Place the capsicums in an oven dish and spoon in the quinoa mix
- Cover with foil and cook for 35 minutes at 190C
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and then enjoy!
Have you tried stuffing vegetables before? Got a favourite?