The other day I was perusing the aisles of the health food store near my work (please tell me I’m not the only one who does that!) when I spotted some black rice on sale and decided it needed to come home with me. I had seen a few recipes using black rice but had never eaten it myself, so after doing some research decided the first way I wanted to try it was in a salad. I picked the brightest coloured vegetables from my veggie delivery, and away I went!
It turned out really delicious, the black rice has a nutty, earthy flavour and provides a great base to the sweet corn and green beans. I went with a simple lemon juice and honey dressing, but you could use whatever your go-to dressing is if you’d prefer!
- 1 cup black rice
- Green beans
- 2 corn cobs
- 1 chili
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Juice of 1 large or 3 small lemons
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1tbs honey
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions, then set aside
- Chop the beans into pieces approximately 3cm long and steam for 3 minutes
- Steam the corn for 5 minutes then remove the cobs from the husk
- Dry roast the walnuts until browned, turning occasionally
- Chop the chilli into pieces, removing the seeds if you prefer it less spicy
- Combine the lemon juice, oil and honey in a container and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper
- Put the rice in a serving dish and add the beans, corn, chilli, walnuts and cranberries. Toss to combine
- Pour over the dressing, ensuring it mixes through
Have you cooked with black rice before? Any recommendations for what I should try with it next?