I’m not usually a huge sandwich fan, but sometimes a cheesy, warming toastie calls my name. That happened recently and the answer was these broccoli kale toasties which definitely hit the spot. I love that they are not only comforting but are packed with greens so are kind of healthy too!
- 2 small heads of broccoli
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Bunch of kale
- 8-10 slices of bread
- Chilli flakes
- Seeded mustard
- Cheese (I used gouda)
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Cut the broccoli into florets and place on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, until soft and just starting to brown
- Remove the kale leaves and roughly chop. Massage with a drizzle of oil until softened then add to the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the bread on a tray and spread half the slices with avocado, then sprinkle with chilli flakes. Lightly spread the remaining slices with seeded mustard.
- Top the avocado with the kale, sliced cheese and broccoli then the seeded mustard bread slices
- Toast until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through
I seriously love these broccoli kale toasties. The bit of heat from the chilli and the tang from the mustard go so well with the creamy avocado and cheese. Plus, you can roast the broccoli and kale in advance and just build the rest when you’re ready to eat it, making them perfect for work lunches.
I recommend using a good dense bread to make these toasties so that they stay structurally sound. There’s nothing worse than trying to eat a toastie and all the fillings tumbling out everywhere!
If you want to make the outsides ultra crispy then just spread a little butter on the outside of each piece of bread before popping it in the sandwich press. Sure, it’s a little indulgent but there’s heaps of greens on the inside so it all balances out, right?!