I’m not quite sure what to tell you about this broccoli pea pasta salad other than it’s deeelicious! Fresh flavours, easy to whip up and perfect both warm and cold – all my favourite things. I first made it for work lunches and then have taken it to a friends place for dinner and it was great both times. Seriously, just give it a try!
The recipe is slightly amended from one I found in the Community cookbook
- 500g Greek yoghurt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 400g peas (if using frozen then defrost first)
- 500g pasta
- 3 heads broccoli (approximately 1kg)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1tbs pine nuts
- Dried chilli flakes
- Combine the yoghurt, garlic, 3tbs oil and 3/4 cup of the peas in a food processor and blitz until smooth and a lovely minty-green in colour
- Taste, season with salt and pepper and if need be add more oil until it reaches the consistency of pouring cream
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente, then drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside
- Chop the broccoli into florets and cook in boiling water for 3 minutes, until just tender. In the last 30 seconds add the rest of the peas. Drain and refresh under cold water
- Slowly add the yogurt sauce to the pasta to avoid the sauce splitting, then add the broccoli, peas, basil and mint. Toss gently to combine then spoon into a serving dish
- Toast the pine nuts until just golden and sprinkle on top of the pasta along with some chilli flakes
I love the gorgeous colour of this broccoli pea pasta. It’s so fresh, vibrant and inviting! It’s a particularly excellent dish for this time of the year where it’s still warm enough for summery meals but the evenings are also starting to cool off. It’s simultaneously a creamy but also light dish, my favourite kind of pasta.
The chilli flakes are of course optional, but they do add a little extra deliciousness to the dish. They pair so well with the tartness of the yoghurt and the freshness of the vegetables. Not to mention the crunch of the pine nuts!