The other night I felt like a warming winter dinner that made the most of delicious, earthy flavours and this pumpkin, mushroom & kale gnocchi was the answer! Not only does it highlight delicious winter produce but by pan frying the gnocchi we get crispy goodness in the dish as well, YUM!
- Half a medium kent pumpkin
- 500g gnocchi
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300g mushrooms (I use portobello)
- Medium bunch of kale
- Goats cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Dice the pumpkin and place on a lined baking tray with a drizzle of oil
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, shaking once, until slightly crispy
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan and fry the gnocchi until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes
- Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm
- Add some extra oil and the crushed garlic, stirring until the garlic is just starting to cook
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pan, stirring to combine with the garlic and cook for 5 minutes
- Roughly chop the kale leaves and add to the pan, stirring to combine and cooking until just wilted
- Add the gnocchi back to the pan and toss to combine and cook until heated through again.
- Add the roasted pumpkin, toss to combine then separate into bowls and sprinkle with goats cheese
It’s a deceptively simple dish that you can have on the table in about half an hour, making it perfect for mid week dinners. I really love the texture you get from pan frying the gnocchi instead of boiling it, but be sure not to overcrowd your pan too much so you can turn the gnocchi as required.
Make sure you don’t lose the juices in the roasting pan either, pop them in the final dish when you add the pumpkin for maximum flavour! Pumpkin, mushroom & kale gnocchi is winter food at its best!