For the second of my Christmas lunch recipes I’ve got this oh-so-tasty BBQ pumpkin and beetroot salad for you. It was fresh, delicious and could be prepped in advance which is always a winner when you’re cooking up a feast!
- 800g pumpkin
- 1 red onion
- Baby beetroot (canned or pre-roasted)
- 2tbs red wine vinegar
- 1tbs fresh thyme
- 1tsp sugar
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 200g rocket
- Slice the pumpkin into thin wedges and the red onion into chunks
- Heat the BBQ grill and brush the pumpkin with some oil. Grill for 3 minutes each side, or until tender and charred. Set aside
- Cook the onion for 2 minutes each side, or until tender. Set aside
- Cut the baby beets in half
- Combine the vinegar, chopped thyme leaves, sugar, mustard and olive oil in a jar and shake well to combine
- Dry toast the pepitas in a pan until lightly golden and set aside
- Layer the beetroot, pumpkin, onion and rocket on a serving dish and sprinkle with the pepitas then serve
This BBQ pumpkin and beetroot salad was such an excellent addition to our Christmas feast. It was fresh, colourful and seriously tasty. It was particularly excellent as we could cook everything in advance and just assembled it on Christmas day which made everything so much easier. In fact, we cooked the pumpkin and onion the night before when we were having a BBQ for dinner!
You can roast your own baby beetroot if you have the time and patience (and don’t mind the mess!), but I’ve found that the pre-cooked versions are just as good for this kind of dish. Especially when you have a million other things to cook as well! The other excellent thing about this salad is that it holds up incredibly well as leftover as well. I had it in rolls for the next two days at the cricket and it made for a very tasty lunch!
Like the roast cauliflower dish I shared last week, I was only able to snap a couple of quick photos before this BBQ pumpkin and beetroot salad was being piled on to plates, so I hope you’ll excuse the photos!