We had a work training day offsite this week and were required to bring along something to share for morning and afternoon tea to keep us going. I wanted to make something sweet, but not too sweet so decided on this lemon & coconut slice. There’s something about the combination of lemon and coconut that I just love! Although I call it a slice, it’s actually almost a cake due to its thick, doughy base, but either way it’s delicious and was very warmly received by my colleagues!
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 125 g butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Zest & juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk, but dairy milk is fine too!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp margarine
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Place flour, salt and coconut into a bowl.
- Melt butter and both sugars in a saucepan on low heat.
- Add melted sugar mix to flour mix and stir to combine
- Add the lemon juice and zest and stir through
- Beat the eggs with milk with a fork and then add to the mixture.
- Mix until combined
- Pour into a greased tin and bake for 20 minutes
- Combine icing ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add small amounts of warm water until you get athick but spreadable consistency
- While the slice is still warm spread the icing on and sprinkle on extra coconut.
Do you have a favourite flavour combination?