I’ve been cooking a lot with eggplant this summer, putting it in curries, grilling it for sandwiches, you name it! I thought it was about time I put some in a salad too, and that’s where this baby came from – an eggplant chickpea salad!
I decided to roast the eggplant, so this salad is particularly delicious when the eggplant is still warm, however I then ate the leftovers cold and still thoroughly enjoyed it, so either works! It’s a nice and simple salad that is big on flavour so makes a perfect light lunch or a delicious side at dinner – versatility is key here at I Spy Plum Pie!
Now, over to the recipe!
- 2 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Can of chickpeas
- 200g baby spinach
- 1 chilli
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 100g feta
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Slice the eggplant into thin rounds
- Whisk together the balsamic and olive oil. Set aside half for the dressing and use the other half to brush onto the eggplant, ensuring each slice is covered on both sides. Sprinkle with salt.
- Lay on a tray and roast for 25-30 minutes, turning once, until tender
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then layer your serving dish with baby spinach, chickpeas and the roast eggplant slices.
- Finely slice the chilli and mint and sprinkle over the salad, then top with crumbled feta. Pour over the remaining dressing and serve!
If you’re not a fan of chilli then feel free to leave it out, although I do think the little kick is a nice addition! I was definitely a happy camper eating my way through this salad and it made a delicious change from the other salads I’ve been eating this summer!
What’s been on your plate this summer? How about some eggplant chickpea salad at your next gathering?
[inlinkz_linkup id=494207 mode=1]