Given my love of hearty salads it’s probably no surprise that when it comes to family gatherings I am generally given the task of bringing along a salad or two. With Christmas fast approaching I thought it was about time I started playing with some options to make this year and so far this roast chickpea & sweet potato salad is sitting in first place.
The slightly crunchy spiced chickpeas combined with the creamy goats cheese is an absolute winner and in my family you can never go wrong with potatoes of any form so I have a feeling if I was to show up with this I would be rather popular! The addition of the cranberries makes it the perfect Christmas salad in my books!
- 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1tsp honey
- 3tsp paprika
- 3tsp cumin
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 2tsp chilli flakes
- 2tbs olive oil
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 large or 1 1/2 medium sweet potatoes
- 200g baby spinach
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 100g goats cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, spices, oil and juice of half the lemon and whisk together.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then place in a baking dish and pour over the spice marinade. Toss to coat and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with a little oil and toss to coat.
- Put both trays in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, until sweet potato is cooked through and chickpeas are starting to crisp up.
- To build the salad combine the spinach, sweet potato and chickpeas in your bowl or platter then top with roughly chopped almonds, dried cranberries and goats cheese. Pour over the juice of the remaining half lemon.
The best part of testing Christmas recipes is it means I get to eat delicious salads like this for days afterwards! I was a very happy camper at work for a few days, that’s for sure! I do love a bit of crunch in my salads so the addition of nuts is pretty important, but if you’re not a fan of almonds then walnuts would be equally as delicious.
Have you started thinking about what you’ll cook for Christmas yet? Do you have any favourite salads for special occasions?
Now, over to the linkup! What a fab collection we had last week – I can’t wait to see what you’ve all been cooking! I’ve been sharing the recipes on the I Spy Plum Pie Facebook & Twitter, so make sure you’re following along and keep your eye out for your recipe to star!
[inlinkz_linkup id=471644 mode=1]