I’ve been in a bit of a jackfruit cooking phase lately, so decided jackfruit tacos needed to be part of the mix. I love tacos, and I’m loving jackfruit, so it’s safe to say I definitely loved these jackfruit tacos! Plus, they are super simple to whip up too.
I slightly amended a recipe from the Minimalist Baker
- 2 cans jackfruit
- Small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1tbs smoked paprika
- 1tbs cumin
- 2tbs brown sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2tso adobo sauce
- 2tbs soy sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- Juice of a lime
- Tortillas and toppings to serve
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit
- Cut the core sections into small pieces and shred the remaining sections. Set aside
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat some oil in a large pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until golden
- Add the jackfruit, spices, sugar and salt and stir to coat the jackfruit
- Thinly slice the chipotle pepper and add to the pan with the adobo sauce, soy sauce, water and lime juice. Stir to combine
- Lower the heat then cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use two forks to further shred the jackfruit as it cooks
- Remove the lid and increase the heat then cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from the heat and then build tacos using your favourite toppings!
These jackfruit tacos are seriously that simple, and even more delicious! I love that it all happens in one pan, and takes roughly 30 minutes, so they are perfect for Taco Tuesday. Plus, you can whip up the jackfruit in advance, just reheat and you’ll have delicious tacos on the table in no time at all.
You can of course top your jackfruit tacos with whatever takes your fancy, but I have some favourites. Red cabbage, corn and thinly sliced radish add some excellent sweetness and crunch, plus so avocado for creaminess and you can’t go past some coriander. Plus all that colour sure doesn’t hurt.
If you haven’t cooked with jackfruit before I highly recommend you give it a try – it’s not at all tricky and certainly is delicious!