A few weeks back I started doing twice-weekly group personal training (did someone say summer is coming?!) and by the time I finish the session and make it home again I am super hungry. I have been trying to make sure I always have something healthy on hand to have a quick snack on before I get dinner prepared, and hummus has been perfect for that. Not only is it super delicious but the chickpeas are high in protein, so it’s ideal fuel for after exercise. I had made plain hummus, and sundried tomato hummus, so I decided it was time to have a play with a new flavour – and red pepper hummus it is!
To make it easier I used red peppers from a jar, but if you prefer you can always roast your own capsicums to use – it just takes a little more time and effort!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Juice of 1 large (or 2 small) lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 cup chopped red peppers/chargrilled capsicum
- 2tbs olive oil (I used oil from the jar of peppers)
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine (you may need to scrape down the sides a few times)
- Taste, season with salt and pepper then enjoy!
Easy as that! I can’t bring myself to buy dip anymore, it’s just far too quick and easy to make at home! I went pretty heavy on the cayenne pepper so mine had a good kick to it, but it’s just as delicious if you make it milder as well!
Do you have a favourite dip?