My love of israeli couscous is well documented, and this roast vegetable israeli couscous salad is the perfect way to keep eating it all through autumn and winter! Packed with delicious roasted root vegetables this salad is simple but hearty enough to make both an excellent lunch or a side for dinner.
Roast veggies are one of my favourite parts of this time of year (although no-one roasts potatoes as well as my mum does!) so it’s always nice to find new ways to use them, as it gives me an excuse to eat them even more often! Perfect!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- Half a medium kent pumpkin
- 2 medium parsnip
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup rocket
- Olive oil
- Juice of a lemon
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Peel and dice the sweet potato, pumpkin and parsnip and slice the red onion
- Toss with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread over 2 trays
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, tossing once or twice, until all vegetables are cooked through and slightly caramelised. Set aside to cool slightly
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in the base of a saucepan and toss the couscous, then toast over high heat for a few minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the stock is absorbed and couscous is al dente
- Drain and rinse the couscous then combine with the roast vegetables and rocket and toss to combine
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and a little oil then serve
The roasted veggies are slightly sweet, especially the red onion, and combined with the bitterness of the rocket makes this salad much more than the sum of its parts. You could add some feta if you wanted to go a little more fancy, but it is definitely delicious enough without it too!
You can have it warm from the oven or cool the next day, so it’s an excellent Sunday afternoon make-ahead option for work lunches, which you’ll definitely be grateful for! Healthy, delicious, hearty, what more could you ask for?!
Have I turned you into an Israeli couscous fan yet? If not, this roast vegetable Israeli couscous salad is sure to be the one to do it!
[inlinkz_linkup id=526583 mode=1]