It had been a long time since I had done much baking, but now that I can share it with people again it seemed like a good idea! This chocolate banana bread was an excellent place to start. Rich, dense and seriously delicious, it’s also vegan friendly!
I made some minor tweaks to the recipe from Vegan With Bite
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 120g vegan friendly butter
- 80ml milk or alternative (I used oat milk)
- 1/2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 180g plain flour
- 3tbs dark cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 3tbs caster sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a loaf tin
- In a medium bowl mash the bananas
- Melt the butter then add to the bananas with the milk, vinegar and vanilla and stir until combined and smooth
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon
- Add the caster and brown sugar and the salt and stir to combine all ingredient. Create a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Pour in the banana mixture and gently fold in with a spatula until just combined
- Fold in half the choc chips
- Pour the batter into the lined pan and smooth out, then sprinkle over the remaining choc chips
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until cooked through then cool in the pan for a few minutes, before cooling fully on a wire rack
There you have it, delicious chocolate banana bread! If you are making it vegan friendly then just check your choc chips are dairy free. If you don’t need it to be vegan then feel free to use dairy butter and milk, it will work well either way!
I took this chocolate banana bread to my parents house and it was very well received! Personally it’s probably a little rich for breakfast (except maybe on a Sunday!) but it definitely goes down a treat with a mid-morning coffee. It kept well for a few days as well – I couldn’t tell you about any more than that because there were no pieces left!
I have a feeling this one might be on high rotation in my house over the coming months. I’ll be stocking up on bananas just to make sure I always have some very ripe ones on hand whenever required!