My winter meals tend to revolve around hearty meals like curries, pastas and roast veggies but sometimes I want something fresh and zesty and that’s where this winter slaw comes out to play! Not only is it light and delicious, but it even improves with time making it perfect for make ahead cooking!
- Half a small red cabbage
- Quarter of a white cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 3 green apples
- 2 beetroot
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2tbs walnut or almond oil
- 3tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Shred or grate the cabbages, carrots, apples and raw beetroot (I use my food processor) and place in a large bowl
- Add the cranberries and walnuts and toss to combine
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients and whisk well to combine
- Taste, and season accordingly, then pour over the slaw mix and toss through
I love the colour of this winter slaw, and the sweetness of the fresh beetroot and apples works so well with the cabbage. The dressing is so good as well, I think I might use it on some roast veggies next time too!
I added the slaw to sandwiches and wraps for work, and also as part of some tofu buddha bowls for dinner – it goes well with everything! Which is probably a good thing, this recipe does make quite a lot of winter slaw! I think it would be a great addition to a winter BBQ or potluck meal as well, to counteract the heavier foods we tend to indulge on at this time of year!