I received some beetroots in my veggie box recently and decided to use them for something a little different to what I normally do. Often I just add them to a juice or make a salad, but this time I thought I would grate them up and make a relish! The relish goes really well on burgers, as part of a cheese platter or even just on some bread as a snack – all perfect for this time of year! It’s super simple to make as well, just as long as you don’t mind getting pink beetroot juice everywhere first!
I never really ate beetroot as a kid, but now it’s on my growing list of foods that I find myself eating more and more of these days! I guess that means I’m growing up!
- 5 small beetroot
- 1 small onion (optional, but I like it!)
- 1.5tbs honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1.5tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and grate the beetroots and onion (I use a food processor to do the grating!)
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and stir to combine over high heat
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1.5 hours, until the water has been absorbed, stirring occasionally
- Leave to cool before spooning into sterilised jars
Are you a beetroot fan? Have you made your own relish before?