I’m a huge fan of black beans but they can be tricky to find in can form in Melbourne, so when my local grocer has them I stock up and then take great delight in cooking with them. One of the best parts of these burgers is they freeze well so I can whip up a batch and then keep my black bean obsession going even when I can’t find them in stock! Plus, they are delicious and healthy and taste just as good served with a side salad or in a traditional burger.
This recipe is adapted from here
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Can of black beans
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbs tomato paste
- 1 egg
- Cob of corn
- Large bunch of coriander
- 1tbs chili paste (or to taste, or dried chilis)
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup panko (or other breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
You can make these vegan friendly by omitting the egg and replacing it with a flax egg (1tbs flax powder & 3 tbs warm water, stirred and left to thicken)
- Rinse then cook the quinoa, then set aside
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic, then cook in olive oil for 5 minutes, until softened
- Drain and rinse the black beans then place in a bowl and mash, leaving some beans whole.
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob
- Finely chop the coriander
- Combine the black beans, onion mix, salt, tomato paste, egg, corn kernels, coriander, chili paste, cumin and paprika in a bowl and mix well
- Add the panko, flour and quinoa and stir well to combine
- Form the mixture into 6 large patties and place on tray lined with baking paper, cover with glad wrap then refrigerate for at least an hour (overnight if you can) to help the mixture stick together
You can cook these in a fry pan, on the BBQ or in the oven, cooking times will vary depending on your preferred cooking option – about 5 minutes a side on the BBQ or in a frypan, slightly longer in the oven.
I prefer to freeze these after cooking them as they hold together better, but if you’re not too stressed about them possibly falling apart a little then you can freeze them pre-cooking as well – up to you!
What are your must-haves when building a burger? Are you a black bean fan too?