Mexican food is a big favourite of mine and B’s, it’s so easy to whip up, full of flavour and you can use pretty much anything you have on hand. I had been sick and had pretty much no appetite for almost a week (the worst kind of sickness for someone like me!) so had a fridge full of veggies that needed using, so into the mix they all went! I’ve become a big fan of black beans recently as well, although sometimes it’s tricky to find cans of them, but worth the effort when you do locate them! I went cheese-less when making these, opting to go more heavy handed on the avocado instead, but obviously you can cheese them up if you so desire!
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2tbs cumin
- 2tbs paprika
- 1tbs oregano
- 1tbs chilli flakes (or to taste)
- Head of broccoli
- Corn cob
- Can of black beans
- Tortillas (I used corn tortillas)
- Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic
- Dice the zucchini and broccoli
- Heat oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic until translucent, stirring occasionally
- Add the spices and mix through for 30 seconds
- Add the zucchini and broccoli, stir together and cook for 2 minutes
- Remove the corn from the cob and add to the pan, stirring through
- Drain and rinse the beans, add them to the pan with 1/2 cup water. Stir well, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed
- Heat the tortillas (I do mine in a pan as we don’t have a microwave)
- Spoon the mixture into the tortillas, squeeze over some lime juice, top with avocado and enjoy!
I love how quick and easy this is to whip up, and the bean mixture will keep well for leftover tacos, or as a nacho topping instead! Delicious!
Are you a fan of Mexican food too? Any particular favourite way to eat it?