I’ve been watching a bit of Masterchef recently (tell me I’m not the only one!) and after they did the risotto challenge a few weeks back I realised I hadn’t made a risotto since my roast pumpkin risotto back in April. It was definitely time for risotto again!
A colleague had brought in a whole lot of lemons which I happily helped myself to, so I knew they needed to be put to good use, and they certainly were! The simpleness of the broccoli and lemon work so well together and makes this feel a lot lighter than risottos often can. An excellent Winter meal!
I use the whole broccoli, yep, stem and all, and if you’ve not tried eating the stem before this is probably a great place to start. They mix in nicely so you’ll barely even know they’re there!
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Medium broccoli
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Chop the broccoli into small florets and finely slice the stem, set aside
- Put the stock in a small saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer
- Heat some oil in a large, heavy based saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until translucent
- Add the rice and stir to coat it in the onion, cook for 2 minutes
- Pour in the wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed
- Add a ladle of stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time.
- When there’s only a few ladlefuls left add the broccoli stems to the rice and stir to combine them. Continue adding the stock.
- With the second last ladleful add the broccoli florets and stir through. Add the final ladleful and stir until the liquid is all absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the lemon juice and zest, then season with black pepper
- Serve and enjoy!
This has a really nice amount of lemon to it, it’s definitely there but it’s not overpowering in any way. I think there’s little worse than something being advertised as lemon flavoured and then barely being able to taste any lemon!
Have you been watching Masterchef this season? Who do you think should win?