Homemade curries are one of my go-to meals and I like to keep my freezer stocked with different curry options for nights when cooking is the last thing I feel like doing. This eggplant chickpea curry is one of my favourites, it’s deliciously creamy, full of flavour and mild enough for the whole family. Plus, it freezes really well!
One of the other best parts about this curry is that it is ready in no time so it makes an excellent mid-week meal idea and will leave you enough for leftovers the next day as well!
- 2 medium eggplants
- Small onion
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1tbs curry powder
- 1tbs ground cumin
- 1tbs ground coriander
- Can of coconut cream
- 1 medium capsicum
- Can of chickpeas
- Fresh coriander
- Rice & naan bread to serve
- Chop the eggplant into cubes and set aside
- Finely dice the onion, grate the ginger and mince the garlic
- Heat the oil in a large skillet then add the eggplant and cook for 5 minutes, until seared, then remove from the pan
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic to the pan (with a little extra oil if needed) and cook for 3 minutes, until just fragrant and starting to go translucent.
- Add the spices, stir and cook for a minute
- Return the eggplant to the pan and stir to combine with the spices and onion mix, then add the coconut cream and chickpeas
- Slice the capsicum and add to the pan, stirring to combine
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, until the coconut milk thickens slightly
- Roughly chop the coriander and sprinkle on top of the curry
- Serve with rice and naan bread and enjoy!
Easy as that! I particularly love coconut milk based curries, I find them deliciously creamy without being overly heavy, which means I can have naan bread on the side! This eggplant chickpea curry is also vegan friendly whilst still being filling and satisfying, so it’s a great option when you’re catering for a range of dietary requirements!
I’m pretty glad I have a freezer stocked with serves of this now, that’s for sure!
There we have it, my eggplant chickpea curry! Are you a curry fan?
[inlinkz_linkup id=506190 mode=1]