With summer upon us I’m finding new ways to make use of the little BBQ on my balcony and this grilled sweetcorn & sour cream dip has fast become a firm favourite. It’s full of all kinds of flavours and textures, keeps well and makes the perfect addition to an afternoon snack table.
The recipe is from Ross Dobson’s Fired up Vegetarian cookbook, which I highly recommend!
- 4 corn cobs
- 1tbs oil
- 2tsp dijon mustard
- Red onion
- 1/2 cup coriander stalks and leaves
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2tsp hot sauce
- 1tsp sea salt
- 370g sour cream
- Preheat BBQ grill to high
- Peel the corn and discard the husks, then brush with oil and mustard
- Slice the red onion into thick rings and brush with oil
- Grill the sweetcorn and onion for 10-12 minutes turning often, until golden then allow to cool
- Roughly chop the onion and herbs and pop into a food processor with the vinegar, hot sauce and salt.
- Remove the kernels from the corn cobs and add to the food processor.
- Blitz until just combined but still slightly chunky
- Just before serving combine with the sour cream and serve with a drizzle more of hot sauce and some coriander
This sweetcorn & sour cream dip is excellent served with flatbread or tortilla chips, but I think it would also work with cut up veggies like carrots and celery. I love that you can prepare the corn and herbs part of the recipe in advance and then just mix through the sour cream when you’re ready to serve as it allows the kitchen to get cleaned up before guests arrive (which in a little apartment like mine is always a bonus!).
I’m loving exploring different ways to use my BBQ other than the traditional grilled veggies and burger patties – who knew dips could come from the BBQ as well! I can’t wait to try out more recipes from that cookbook this summer too!