My love for potatoes – and particularly potato salad – is well documented round these parts. However, there is always room for new flavours and this herb vinaigrette potato salad is my new favourite. It’s zesty, fresh and is seriously simple to whip up. Plus, it’s vegan friendly!
I slightly amended a recipe I found on Minimalist Baker
- 1kg baby potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5tbs apple cider vinegar
- Bunch of spring onions
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
For the dressing
- 2 1/2 tbs dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3tbs white wine vinegar
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- Slice the potatoes into roughly 5cm thick rounds and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water and season with salt then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until just cooked through
- Drain, rinse in cold water then pat dry. Drizzle with apple cider vinegar, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Whisk together the mustard, minced garlic, vinegars and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add in the olive oil, whisking to emulsify, then finely chop the dill and add to the dressing.
- Slice the spring onion and roughly chop the parsley. Add to the potatoes then drizzle over the dressing. Toss to coat then serve.
I seriously love this herb vinaigrette potato salad – and not just because of the potatoes! The dressing is simple but packs a punch, and the fresh herbs really add some depth. It’s amazing how much flavour can come from so few ingredients – especially ingredients you’re likely to have in your pantry already!
You can serve this herb vinaigrette potato salad warm or cold – I think I prefer it warm though. It works so well as a side for a BBQ, served with burgers or grilled corn. It’s equally delicious in winter though – I serve it warm with greens and baked tofu and was a very happy camper. Basically, what I am saying is that there is no bad way to eat this dish!