After seeing basically everyone I follow raving about this lemon tofu I knew I had to try it myself! I’m so glad I did – it absolutely lived up to expectations. Plus, it’s super simple and quick to whip up as well. Vegan friendly and perfect for a mid-week meal!
I based this off Hetty McKinnon’s ABC Everyday recipe
- 400g firm tofu
- 2-3 tbs tamari
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 3tbs oil
- Rice, spring onion to serve
For the Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 3/4 cup veggie stock
- 100ml lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbs of cornflour, whisked into 3 tbs water
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and then coat in the tamari and set aside for 5 minutes
- Drain off any excess tamari and then toss gently in cornflour until coated
- Heat the oil in a large frypan and once hot cook the tofu until browned on all sides – cook in batches if needed to avoid overcrowding the pan. Set aside on some paper towel
- Mince the garlic and then combine with the ginger and sesame oil and fry for 30 seconds
- Pour in the stock, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt and stir well. Bring to the boil then remove from heat and stir in the cornflour mix until smooth and thickened
- Serve the tofu on rice and pour over the lemon sauce
This lemon tofu is so delicious, and also ready in no time at all – the perfect combination! I whipped up some simple sesame greens to serve with it which made for a delicious meal all round.
Lemon chicken was never something I ordered back when I ate meat, but after trying this I can see why it is such a popular order! So lemony, and seriously so tasty!
I definitely recommend serving it straight over the rice as it makes a good amount of sauce and you want the rice to soak it all up. The cornflour coated tofu makes it nice and crispy even with the all the sauce, which is the perfect combination in my books!