For me it’s hard to beat dishes like this sticky, delicious maple soy tofu and vegetables for dinner. It’s not only full of flavour, but it’s somehow both comforting and healthy, plus simple to pull together. Perfect for a mid-week meal and suitable for vegans as well!
I slightly amended a recipe I found at Vegan Richa
- 400g firm tofu
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 green capsicum
- 2 medium carrots
- Can of corn spears
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2tbs fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3tbs rice vinegar
- Juice of a lime
- 2-3tsp hot sauce (I used sriracha)
- 1tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- Rice or noodles
- Fresh coriander and sesame seeds to serve
- Press the tofu to remove liquid then cut in to cubes
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and cook the tofu for 5 minutes, or until golden
- Meanwhile, cut the capsicums in to strips, the carrots in to rounds and halve the corn spears
- Remove the tofu from the pan and add the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Mince the garlic and ginger and add to the pan, cook for 2-3 minutes
- Whisk together the soy, maple, rice vinegar, lime juice and hot sauce then add to the pan. Return the tofu to the pan and toss to coat, cook for 3 minutes
- Whisk together the cornstarch and the water until smooth then add to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce thickens and becomes sticky.
- Serve with rice or noodles of your choice, topped with fresh coriander and sesame seeds
This time I served the maple soy tofu and vegetables with rice noodles, but it is equally delicious with brown or white rice. In fact, it’s delicious all round! The combo of flavours in the sauce are the star of the dish, so you can throw in any veggies you have on hand really! Plus, with all that garlic and ginger how could you possibly go wrong!
This dish reminds me of something I might order at a Chinese restaurant, so it’s an excellent dish to keep up your sleeve if you want to have a homemade-takeaway night. Seriously, it’s hard to beat sticky sauces like this one. So. Good.