There are lots of recipes out there for raw brownies however when I went to make myself a batch I decided I needed to tweak things up to include some nuts at the end to give the brownie a bit of crunch. I’ve always been funny about texture in food – for a long time I didn’t eat avocado because I couldn’t stand the texture, and similarly I really like my food to have a combination of some smooth bits and some crunchy bits which is why I am always throwing nuts into salads, stir fries and the like. I really like how this turned out, it’s a good mix of ‘cake’ like texture with some delicious crunch thrown in. All that AND it’s raw, vegan, sugar free and healthy. It’s too good to be true (almost!).
- 1.5 cups walnuts
- 1.5 cups pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- Soak the dates in warm water for 10 minutes to soften them
- Roughly chop the almonds and macadamias and set aside
- In a food processor, blitz the walnuts until they are crumbled
- Add the cocoa and salt and blitz to combine
- Add the dates in batches and pulse until the mixture comes together and is not crumbly
- Spread into a dish and mix through the almonds and macadamias
- Freeze until ready to serve
If you find your mixture isn’t coming together properly you can add a few more dates or alternatively some coconut butter. I like the mixture with lots of nuts, but if you’d prefer it less crunch-filled then don’t add all the almonds and macadamias.