Thanks to everyone that got involved in the 1st Meatless Monday linkup! We’re back for week 2 and I can’t wait to see what you’ve all been cooking!
I had some friends over recently for a BBQ to watch the AFL Grand Final (we just don’t talk about the result!) and I was on salad duty, which is no surprise given my love for salads! I went with a few old favourites like my potato salad, as well as this easy-peasy pesto pasta salad! It was quite the hit so I will definitely be pulling it out again for more BBQs over the summer!
You can use any pesto you like really, and I know lots of people have their own favourite way to make it! I went with my mint & basil pesto as I have an abundance of mint growing at the moment!
- 350g dried pasta (bows or penne work best I think!)
- 1 cup pesto (bought or homemade)
- 2 cups green beans
- 1.5 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 250g baby bocconcini
- Boil the pasta until just al dente, drain, rinse under cold water and leave to cool
- Meanwhile, make the pesto (or open the jar!)
- Top and tail the beans, then chop into roughly 3cm pieces
- Cook the beans and peas in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until the beans are just cooked. Drain and run under cold water.
- Put the pasta in your serving bowl and add the pesto, toss to coat
- Add the beans, peas, spinach and bocconcini and toss to combine
Easy as that! You could easily swap the beans for asparagus if you’d prefer, and really you could throw in any number of other vegetables like tomatoes or capsicum, but I really liked that it was all green! It’s super simple to whip up so is pretty perfect for if guests arrive on short notice! Even if you’re making your own pesto it wouldn’t take more than 20 minutes from start to the table. Perfect for the warm summer nights ahead!
Are you a pesto pasta salad fan too? What is your go-to salad to take to a BBQ?
Don’t forget to link-up your Meatless Monday meals!
[inlinkz_linkup id=453369 mode=1]