My love of making curries is fairly well documented around these parts, but for good reason! They are warming, delicious, easy to make and freeze well – what more could you want?! This potato and pea curry is about as simple as they come, but I don’t see that as a bad thing at all. Instead, the two veggies get to star in a creamy, flavour packed sauce, and you don’t have to worry about prepping a million different ingredients!
I whipped up a large batch of this on a Sunday afternoon while catching up on podcasts and it left my apartment smelling delicious for hours afterwards. It was hard to stop myself from just sitting down with a bowl of it straight away (which at 3 in the afternoon would probably have been a weird time for dinner!), but it was worth the wait when I did eat it, that’s for sure.
Now, on to the recipe!
- Brown onion
- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 2tbs coconut oil
- 3tsp ground cumin
- 3tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp turmeric
- 2tsp curry powder
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of coconut cream
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- Fresh coriander
- Roti and/or rice to serve
- Finely dice the onion
- Peel and chop the potatoes and set aside
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan and then add onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally
- Add the spices and cook for a minute or two, stirring through
- Add the potatoes and toss to coat in the onion and spices
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir through, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the coconut cream, stir through and simmer, uncovered, for another 10 minutes
- Add the peas and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through and sauce has thickened
- Top with fresh coriander and serve with roti bread or rice (or both!)
The creaminess of the sauce and the softness of the potatoes are so nicely counterbalanced with the sweet bursts of peas throughout, as I said, it might be simple but it’s definitely not boring! It freezes and reheats well, so it’s worth making a large batch and popping some leftovers in the freezer for those nights when you just don’t have the time or inclination to cook – future you will definitely be happy! I’m all about doing things to make future me happy!
Also, while I have your attention – you may not have noticed a new little addition to I Spy Plum Pie, the ‘Shop‘! I’m busily working away on some e-products (most of which will be completely free!) and so far there are two freebies there for you to download and enjoy. Hop on over and have a look, I’d love to hear what you think!
Are you a curry fan as well? Fancy a bowl of my potato and pea curry?
[inlinkz_linkup id=528738 mode=1]