This is a two-for-one recipe, perfect for Christmas gatherings. These pumpkin feta and tomato goats cheese tarts are simple but oh-so-delicious. They’re pretty too, which isn’t the main driver but doesn’t hurt either!
- Puff pastry sheets
Pumpkin Feta Tarts
- 250g pumpkin
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 2tbs pine nuts
- 80g feta
Pesto Tomato Goats Cheese Tarts
- 100g pesto
- 75g soft goat’s cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Dice the pumpkin into small cubes and toss with olive oil and season. Bake for 25-30 minutes until tender and starting to caramelise
- Meanwhile, defrost the puff pastry and cut into 5cm squares. Prick with a fork and place on lined baking trays
- Mix the ricotta with dried thyme and season then spoon onto half the puff pasty squares
- Top with cooked pumpkin, pine nuts and crumble over the feta
- On the remaining puff pastry squares spread over the pesto
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and place on top of the pesto and top with goats cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden
These pumpkin feta and tomato goats cheese tarts seriously are that simple! I recommend topping with some fresh herbs (sage, basil, dill, thyme – whatever you have on hand) and you’re good to go! I like using a combo of yellow and red cherry tomatoes because I think they look even prettier, but either colour works!
These pastries are ideal straight from the oven, but I also took them to a picnic and they were still very delicious and well received. If you want them warm and you are having people over you can prep them on the baking trays just beforehand and pop them in the oven as needed.
Simple but delicious is my favourite food combo and these pumpkin feta and tomato goats cheese tarts have that in spades. It might not be the year of big gatherings for Christmas, but that just means you’ll get more to yourself too!
If you have homemade pesto then that’s obviously great, but at this time of year in particular picking up a good quality pre-made version is absolutely an acceptable alternative!