This sun-dried tomato spinach risotto is an excellent winter dinner that is started on the stove and finished in the oven. It’s hearty and warming, full of flavour and surprisingly simple to make. It can be made vegan friendly as well!
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 275g jar sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup pecorino
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a small saucepan
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Pour the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes into the bottom of a stove and oven-proof dish, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute
- Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add to the pan, stirring to combine, cook for 2 minutes
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the onion and tomato mixture
- Pour in the wine and stir through, cook until the wine is absorbed
- Add 3 cups of the stock to the pan, one ladleful at a time, stirring until the liquid is absorbed
- Add the remaining two cups of stock and stir through, then place the lid on your dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the rice is al dente and the liquid has been absorbed
- Grate the cheese and stir through the risotto with the spinach. Season with salt and pepper
- Serve topped with fresh basil
This sun-dried tomato spinach risotto is amazingly creamy and oh-so-tasty. If you want to make it suitable for vegans then switch out the cheese for nutritional yeast. You might want to add a tablespoon or so of vegan butter to up the creamy content as well!
It is dishes like this that make me love my Le Creuset dish even more – it’s so versatile! I particularly love that not only can I cook both on the stovetop and in the oven with it, but I store the leftovers in it as well. Less washing up is always a win!
I also love that because this risotto is finished in the oven you don’t have to do quite so much stirring! That way, you can spend the last 15 minutes of the cooking time getting everything else ready for dinner so you’re good to go when it’s ready to serve. Perfect!