I’m a big fan of any dish involving haloumi, and this sweet chilli haloumi coleslaw is a prime example. It’s fresh, crunchy, packed with flavour and ready in no time. I first whipped it up as part of a weekend lunch spread back when we could do those things, but it quickly made an appearance for work lunches too. Seriously, this sweet chilli haloumi coleslaw is that delicious!
I tweaked a recipe I found on Taste
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 1/2 small white cabbage
- 200g haloumi
- Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 limes
1/2 cup mint
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Thinly shred or slice the carrots and both cabbages, then mix together and set aside
- Slice the haloumi in to roughly 1cm thick pieces
- Heat some oil in a fry pan and cook the haloumi until golden on both sides
- Add half the sweet chilli sauce and juice of a lime, along with 1tbs water to the pan
- Cook the haloumi for 1-2 more minutes, turning once, until the sauce is thickened slightly
- Remove from the heat
- Toss the veggie mix with the remaining sweet chilli sauce and juice of the lime. Add half the the mint and cashews and toss well to coat
- Top with the haloumi and scatter with remaining mint and cashews
This sweet chilli haloumi coleslaw really is that simple! The crunchy combo of the coleslaw and cashews with the squeaky deliciousness of the haloumi is seriously tasty. Add to that the sweet chilli and lime and you’ve got a winning combo. In no time at all either!
This dish works as well with the haloumi freshly cooked as it does when it has cooled down, which makes it perfect to prep ahead of time. Just don’t dress the coleslaw until you’re ready to serve to ensure it stays nice and crisp. No-one wants a soggy coleslaw!