Soup season is most definitely upon us! Having some ready in my fridge has been an excellent work-from-home lunch option for me. This sweet potato chickpea soup is my current favourite. It’s hearty, delicious and even vegan friendly!
I tweaked a recipe from Good Food
- 350g sweet potato
- Fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- Brown onion
- 400g chickpeas
- 2tsp dried thyme
- 2tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 800ml vegetable stock
- Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into pieces
- Place on a lined baking tray, sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the garlic and onion
- Heat some oil in the base of a large saucepan then add the garlic, onion and a splash of water. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the garlic and onion are softened
- Add the cooked sweet potato, drained and rinsed chickpeas, salt, thyme, turmeric and cayenne pepper and toss to coat, then add vegetable stock
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until everything is softened and the flavours have combined
- Remove from the heat and blend until combined
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice
That’s all there is to this sweet potato chickpea soup! I love that not only is it simple, but it’s full of flavour and hearty enough to have as a standalone meal. It does also go with some crusty bread or cheese on toast too though!
This sweet potato chickpea soup reheats really well too. I made a batch on a Sunday afternoon and had delicious lunch ready to go for a few days in a row – so handy! I haven’t tried freezing it (because it never lasts that long!) but I can’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well too. I blitzed mine with my stick blender to avoid having to do any more dishes, but a normal blender or food processor would work well too!