I love whipping up burger patties that I can have on hand for lunches and dinners. These bean and spinach burgers are an excellent option – simple to make, lots of flavour and baked in the oven. So good!
I tweaked a recipe I found at Delicious
- 2 leeks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500g baby spinach
- 410g tin cannellini beans
- 50g dried white breadcrumbs
- 2tbs flat leaf parsley
- 4 tbsp semi-dried tomatoes
- 75g mature Cheddar
- 1 egg
- Thinly slice the leeks and garlic
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the leeks and garlic until softened
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, stirring to combine with the leek
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans and roughly mash with a fork
- Combine in a bowl wth the spinach mixture then add the breadcrumbs
- Chop the parsley and tomatoes and add to the bowl. Crumble in the cheddar
- Lightly whisk the egg and add to the bowl, then fold to combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper
- Form into eight patties and place on a lined tray. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm up
- Preheat the grill and cook the bean and spinach burgers until golden on both sides
I seriously enjoyed these bean and spinach burgers. The cheddar adds a delicious cheesiness and all that spinach means you’re getting lots of goodness as well. I’ve had these as burger patties in a roll for dinner, and served with salad for lunch and they are excellent both ways.
I definitely recommend not skipping popping them in the fridge for a bit before cooking, it really helps ensure they stay together nicely. There’s nothing worse than trying to flip a burger patty and have the whole thing fall apart on you! I mean, they still taste delicious but it does make it slightly messier in your burger bun!