A few weeks back at the World Vegan Day celebrations I picked up a bottle of liquid smoke and ever since I have been wanting to eat smokey food all the time! I thought I’d put it to good use and whip up a batch of some delicious smokey sweet potato & black bean burgers, some for now and some to pop in the freezer for the busy weeks ahead!
If you don’t have liquid smoke don’t let that put you off, the smokey paprika still gives a delicious flavour, it’s just extra smokey with the liquid smoke!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1tbs oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup brown rice
- Can of black beans
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves (or parsley)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Peel and dice the sweet potato then put in a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and half the cumin and paprika and a pinch of salt. Roast for 25 minutes, until softened and starting to brown. Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the brown rice and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the black beans then add to a food processor with the sweet potato and brown rice.
- Roughly chop the coriander, onion and garlic then add to the food processor with the liquid smoke, remaining cumin and paprika and a pinch of salt.
- Blitz for 1-2 minutes, until ingredients are combined but still slightly chunky. Form into patties and place on a lined tray then refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Cook in the oven or on the grill until cooked through and browned then serve with your favourite toppings!
This makes 6 decent sized patties or 8 smaller ones, and they freeze really well so you can make them in advance if need be! I prefer to cook mine in the oven and then freeze them when cooled as I find it easier, but up to you! I also often eat the patties without the bread, just served with some salad or steamed veggies for a lighter mid week meal.
When I am making burgers though I can’t go without some handmade chips, cooked with some rosemary from my little balcony garden. I can’t go past potato, that’s for sure!
Oh boy, I wish I had some of those chips again right now. Writing these posts always makes me hungry! Might have to whip up some more when I defrost the next burger patty!
Are you a fan of smokey flavoured food? Fancy giving these sweet potato & black bean burgers a try?
[inlinkz_linkup id=476762 mode=1]