I knew I was about to start getting asked what to cook for Christmas, so I got ahead of things! I started testing some options and this green beans with tomato almond pesto dish is an absolute winner. It’s vegan friendly, delicious and even the right colours!
I tweaked a recipe I found a Bon Appetit
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup roasted almonds
- 2tbs oil
- 2tbs red wine vinegar
- 1.5tbs smoky paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
800g green beans
- Preheat oven to 230C
- Spread the cherry tomatoes on a lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, turning once, until blistered and slightly charred. Set aside to cool slightly
- Combine half the tomatoes in the food processor with the almonds, oil, vinegar, paprika and cayenne pepper
- Mince the garlic and add to the food processor, then pulse until a pesto consistency
- Season with salt and pepper
- Trim the green beans
- Heat some oil in a pan then add half the beans to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until blistered, then toss and keep cooking for 7-9 minutes, tossing occasionally
- Repeat with the remaining beans
- Toss the beans with the pesto, season more if required, then stir through remaining roast cherry tomatoes
That’s all there is to these green beans with tomato almond pesto! You can even make the pesto in advance, and then just cook the beans not long before you are ready to serve. This dish actually works just as well at room temperature as it does straight from the pan, so you don’t have to whip it up right on serving time. This becomes extra important when it comes to big cooking days like Christmas!
We always have a greens dish as part of our Christmas spread, and I have a feeling this might the one for 2019. I have a feeling my family won’t be complaining either!