I felt like a rice-based dinner recently and settled on this mushroom mapo tofu and I’m very glad I did! It was seriously tasty, easy to make and ready in no time too! Perfect for a quick mid-week dinner and vegan friendly as well.
I slightly tweaked a recipe from Cook Republic
For the Sauce
- 3tbs cornflour
- 3tbs water
- 4tbs tamari
- 4tbs Shaoxing wine
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1-2tbs chilli oil (I used a mushroom chilli oil)
- 1tbs miso paste
- 1tbs Hoisin sauce
For the Mushroom Mapo Tofu
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1tbs grated ginger
- Pinch red chilli flakes (to taste)
- 200g shiitake mushrooms
- 5 spring onions
- 200g silken tofu
- 2tbs vegetable oil
- 1tsp sesame oil
- Start by making the sauce. Combine the cornflour and water in a jug and whisk until well combined and smooth
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and mix well until smooth and combined. Set aside
- Mince the garlic and combine with the grated ginger and chilli flakes in a small bowl, Set aside
- Finely chop the mushrooms and slice the white parts of the spring onions
- Drain the tofu and carefully cut into butes
- Heat the oils in a wok or fry pan then add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cooking for a few seconds
- Add the mushrooms and spring onions and toss to combine, cooking until the spring onion starts to char
- Pour in the sauce and toss to coat, then cook for a couple of minutes, stirring throughout
- Add the tofu and toss gently, cooking until heated through
- Spoon into a serving bowl and top with sliced green spring onions
I definitely recommend having all your vegetables sliced and ready before you start cooking this mushroom mapo tofu because it all comes together very quickly! Which is an excellent thing when you’re after a quick dinner! You can also make this as spicy as suits your tastebuds by amping up the amount of chilli in the sauce – personally I think mapo tofu should always a good kick to it!
This mushroom mapo tofu definitely hit the spot and will absolutely be on high rotation over the winter. It has always been one of my go-to orders when I see vegetarian versions at restaurants so knowing how easy it is to make at home has definitely made me happy!
If you can’t get hold of shiitake mushrooms then any brown mushrooms will work – shiitake just best replicates the meaty flavour that you normally get with a mapo tofu. Use what you can find, just make sure you give it a try!