The second of my Christmas day salads I wanted to share is this pea asparagus fennel bocconcini salad. It’s fresh, light and super tasty – making it a perfect addition to a big feast. It works really well as the green salad for a BBQ or picnic too!
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 cups rocket
- 150g bocconcini
- 2tbs olive oil
- 2tbs vincotto (or balsamic vinegar)
- Cook the peas in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until bright green, then refresh immediately in iced water and drain well
- Remove the woody end of the asparagus then cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes into bright green. Refresh in iced water and drain.
- Finely chop the fennel and red onion
- Remove the leaves from the watercress
- Combine the rocket, watercress, peas, asparagus, fennel and red onion in a serving bowl and toss gently
- Tear the bocconcini and add to the serving bowl
- Combine the oil and vincotto and drizzle over the salad
That’s all there is to this pea asparagus fennel bocconcini salad! It’s a favourite of my mum’s, and every time she takes it to events it is very well received, for good reason! To make our Christmas day cooking a little simpler we prepped the watercress, fennel and red onion the day before, and then just had to quickly cook the peas and asparagus before we served. Super simple!
It’s also a very easy to salad to double if you are feeding a crowd – which is exactly what we did this time. It’s definitely a delicious way to make sure you get lots of greens in amongst all the other delicious food that might be on offer at a BBQ or event. This is a salad that is best served when the peas and asparagus have just been cooked, but we also ate the leftovers for a couple of days without any complaints!