With warmer weather upon us I was looking for a delicious, refreshing drink to whip up. This sparkling thyme lemonade was the perfect answer! So tasty, so simple and it allowed me to use the growing pile of lemons I had too!
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6-8 sprigs of thyme
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Soda water
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil
- Add the thyme and reduce to a simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the sugar dissolves then remove from the heat and let cool completely
- Remove the thyme from the sugar syrup and then combine with the lemon juice in a serving jug
- Top up with soda water and serve over ice
That’s all there is to this thyme lemonade! You can make the thyme sugar syrup in advance, which makes this so quick and easy to prepare when you’re ready to serve. The syrup keeps well, so you can always whip up a bigger batch and have it on hand whenever a hankering for some thyme lemonade hits you. Plus, you can play with the balance of sweetness and tartness to suit by adding more or less soda water – personally I like mine very lemony!
I love how refreshing this sparkling thyme lemonade is – so good on a warm day. I made a batch to take to a picnic, and another just for a warm Saturday at home. You can always turn it into a cocktail with a shot of your favourite spirit (vodka or gin would work well) or even some sparkling wine. Delicious!
I made this with thyme I grew and lemons my mum grew, so it has the added bonus of having very limited travel miles too!